Thursday, February 4, 2010

To Flip....or not to Flip?










Did Rex Ryan just become my new favorite person………YUP! (Him and whoever started the LFL – Lingerie Football League) Enter January 30th, 2010, Sunrise, Florida for an MMA feature event. On hand this particular night, we have in attendance Trent Cole of the Eagles, Patrick Willis of the 49ers, the aforementioned Jet’s Head Coach Rex Ryan, along with Fox Sports reporter Jay Glazier…..what? Um, who doesn’t fit in here? Sorry Glazier, but shouldn’t you be hanging out with other media fanatics, not NFL stars? Anyway, not really a big deal for this fearsome foursome (Besides Glazier trying to seem publicly cool) to be on hand for such an event, but the reason it caused a national stir? It’s because Rex Ryan decided to seize a golden opportunity and deliver some much beloved hatred towards some Miami Dolphin fans - in the form of the middle finger! AWESOME. I’m not a Jet’s fan, nor do I hate the Dolphins, but I do find it fantastic that Ryan could deliver such a blow to his team’s most hated rival. I mean if Tom Coughlin did this to some Eagles fans….I’d be even prouder to call myself a Giants Fan! Hopefully, he has, or will soon!

But enough about my dreams and visions, what Ryan did was downright courageous, stupid, unprofessional, deeply satisfying and original, all at the same time: he flipped the Bird. The reason I love this act of defiance/fanaticism is because it shows that Ryan is just like us; he is human, and when provoked enough, he displays human tendencies and defends his team to the end. It shows he is coaching his team with his heart and soul and that if you talk shit about his team, he’ll go ahead and flip the Bird at you, given of course that the situation calls for it. Ryan is a glorified fan, in a head football coach position….and I couldn’t be happier with his behavior. Even the NFL approves! To prove that, the Jet’s fined Ryan $50,000….but the NFL didn’t exert any punishment, at all.

I read more into this story and learned that Ryan was approached by the same Dolphin’s fans three times at the event that night, where the fans continually berated him with Dolphin’s shit-talking and personal threats, and then they even spit on him! When Rex left that evening, he walked by the rabid fans administered a most raucous Bird, to all of our delights; EVERY Jet’s fan lived vicariously through Ryan at that exact moment! Hopefully, the weight wasn’t too much to bear, pun intended. I even applaud Ryan for not taking it to a physical level, and I feel that this situation certainly warranted a Bird appearance. Speaking of physical, Ryan reminds me of a certain movie character…..UB (John Candy). If you don’t know what those initials stand for, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. But, he just kind of emanates him, I mean the weight factor definitely plays a part, but Ryan’s demeanor is very similar to UB’s. And who wouldn’t want UB as an Uncle? In the same light, after his most recent act of courageousness, who wouldn’t want Rex Ryan as their head coach? He is UB….as a head football coach….’nuff said!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'll give you this is a good one...stupid as he was, he did show some spine!

    ReplyDelete